• Home
  • Audio
  • Video
  • Print
  • Art
  • Photos
  • Live
  • Features
  • About
  • Sale

    Tropical Storm Tour: Bali Part 22

    Tuesday, September 15, 2015
    Ubud, Bali, Indonesia

    An Eden Burger at Bumbu Bali in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.
    An Eden Burger at Bumbu Bali in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia.

    After falling asleep early last night at 11:30 pm, I woke up at 5:00 am to pee. I was feeling really light headed with a headache and a slightly bad feeling in my respiratory tract. Then I fell back aslumber until 12:30 pm, which means I chalked up a solid 13 hours of sleep! After that long, 10-hour tour yesterday, it was not too surprising that I’d hibernate like that. At least I was able to hold down breakfast, consisting of two eggs and a small bowl of fruit, which was a good sign. After a couple of hours of relaxing in bed, and goofing off surfing the web, I promptly fell asleep again until 5:15 pm!

    Since I didn’t have any snacks in my room and there’s no warung in the Arjuna guesthouse compound, I was forced to walk outside to eat. I went by Arimas Warung, but there were two tables occupied, neither of which had received their food yet, which meant I would have had to wait at least an hour for mine. Instead, I walked over to Bumbu Bali, a restaurant with an actual staff that consists of more than one or two people, and ordered a veggie burger with about seven small French fries and a microscopic salad that I literally ate in one bite. But, at least it only took 15 minutes to get my food!

    At the main intersection in town, a small group of teenage girls asked me to buy some candy from them to benefit something, but I couldn’t make out what due to their limited English and sharp accents. Funnily enough, one of them recognized me from the Arjuna 3 Guesthouse, where she lives. A block away, another teenager–this time a boy–also asked me to buy a different kind of candy. It was so random that I was approached by candy sellers twice in one night, as I’ve never had that happen before in Ubud. After buying a few more snacks in the form of rice chips and peanuts at a small shop, I spent the remainder of the night convalescing in my room, attempting to relieve my ever-strengthening flu symptoms.

    Words and photos ©2015 Arcane Candy.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *